Fried chicken is a dish that is well-loved by most Americans. Cook it Southern style and you get that crispy outside and flavorful, juicy inside. Southern fried can be served with various side dishes, typically mashed potatoes, salads, and rolls.
The recipe below is a really simple version of a crispy Southern Fried Chicken plus a side dish of creamy potato salad.
Fried Chicken Recipe
You will need:
- 1 3-lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 5-6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Add lemon juice and garlic to chicken, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine salt, peppers, and flour in a large bowl.
- Dredge chicken pieces into the flour mixture. Shake off excess flour. Dip the pieces into the buttermilk and then dredge again into the flour mixture.
- In a deep, heavy, cast-iron pan, pour vegetable oil to about 4 inches from the bottom. Heat over medium flame or until a deep-fry thermometer registers 360° F.
- Place the floured chicken pieces carefully into the oil, making sure the pan is not overcrowded. Fry chicken, turning once, for 10 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. A well-done chicken runs clear juices when the meat is pierced.
- Drain chicken pieces on a colander lined with paper towels. Serve with the Creamy Potato Salad.
Note: Compared to other fried chicken recipes,this recipe does not call for the patting dry of the chicken pieces. This procedure is skipped to allow more flour to be absorbed, hence crispier skin.
You can reheat your fried chicken by popping them into the oven with low setting and heat for about 7-12 minutes.
Creamy Potato Salad Recipe
You will need
- 3 lbs red new potatoes, cleaned
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 rashers of bacon
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (regular or low fat variety)
- 4 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (flat-leaf), chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- In a large pot, place the potatoes. Fill the pot with water, enough to cover the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil. Add about 1 teaspoon of salt and simmer until cooked.
- Drain potatoes in a large colander and run with cold water. Cut into quarters and let cool thoroughly.
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels and let cool. Crumble bacon.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and about half a teaspoon of pepper. Mix well.
- Add potatoes and celery into the sour cream mixture and toss lightly to coat. Gently fold the rest of the ingredients. Chill before serving with Southern Fried Chicken.
Note: If you think your dressing is a bit too dry, try adding a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. this will add creaminess without the risk of the dressing becoming runny.…